Paper Towns - John Green

tl;dr - | ✭½✩✩✩ | I got this as an audiobook from my library. And I hated it. I didn't really like the reader, and I did not like the story. At all. A far cry from the wonderful story that was The Fault in Our Stars

Description (from goodreads): Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life — dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge — he follows. After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues — and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

So, like I said. I did the audiobook. And maybe it was actually hearing the misogynistic term "honey boney" used by Q's disgusting friend instead of just reading it that was too much for me. Its used frequently, its obnoxious and disgusting and i HATE that his friend thinks its "cool". Ugh. It drove me crazy.

Anyways. Quentin is basically obsessed with Margo Roth Spiegelman the entire book. And this book kind of felt like the movie 500 Days of Summer. Where people will mistakenly take a boy's obsession for love, and how romantic blah blah blah. But its not. It is not only not romantic, but it is not charming, it is not endearing, it is not fun to read about. Its annoying, and Q obviously has built up this ridiculous idea of Margo, and this obsessive need to say her entire name as if he is chanting it (hey, if you chant Margo Roth Spiegelman three times in front of a mirror, she will magically love you and want you to have sex with her). UGH.

Then it seems like John Green tries to address this fact when Q starts obsessing over a Whitman poem that Margo left behind for him as a clue. At one point he states something about how, you build up the idea of a person and it is never the same as what the person actually is. And how thats a bad thing, and he's done it with creating the idea of Margo. But he doesn't stop creating this vision of perfect Margo, he continues create a faux-Margo, he just changes his idea of her. Its annoying. I was sick of his full blown, ridiculous obsession. I really was. The only character I actually liked in this book was his friend Marcus "Radar" Lincoln. He was a nerd, and he was funny, and he was the only character I actually liked or cared about. And he wasn't in it nearly enough. Sigh.

I was really quite disappointed. I don't think I would have liked it any better had I read it (vs listening to it), because the story just bugged me. The characters bugged me. I absolutely loved The Fault In Our Stars, so I was hoping to enjoy this book too. I did not. I will eventually get to Looking for Alaska, and hopefully I will enjoy it more than I enjoyed this book.