Something Strange and Deadly - Susan Dennard

tl;dr - | ✭✭✭✭✩ | So, I really really enjoyed this book. The zombies, the steampunk, the characters... I loved it. It was such a fun read. I would definitely suggest others read it!

Description - Miss Eleanor Fitt is eagerly awaiting the return of her brother when the dead rise swarm to the train station. Eleanor hides away in the telegraph room, hoping to find word from her brother, when a zombie appears and leaves a letter for her - from her brother. Someone is controlling the dead and have her brother, and since her mother has no interest in anything except marrying Eleanor off to the wealthiest bachelor, Eleanor knows she must do something to bring her brother safely home. She enlists in the help of the Spirit Hunters, who are in town to protect people from the increasing zombie raids. Can she figure out who is behind the zombie attacks and save her brother? Can she deal with the maddening snarky remarks from Daniel, one of the spirit hunters? Can she convince her mother not to marry her off to some random man she has no interest in marry in?

OH boy! This book. I read it over a month ago, and have been super bad about writing up my reviews so please bear with me as this is going to be kind of vague... I'm sorry :(

Ok. So, one thing that was fine at first but ended up bugging me was the play on her name... Miss Fitt. Misfit. Eleanor talks about how she doesn't feel like she really fits in with all the rules of propriety, that she doesn't fit in with how everyone else behaves and have similar desires. And thats cool, I love a quirky character who likes to break the mold. But at one point I felt it became a little too receptive with her feeling like a misfit and even her name says so. But it was a minor annoyance and not one that took me out of the story too much.

But Eleanor was a wonderful character to have narrating the story. She cares so deeply for her family, which i thought was wonderful. Especially her relationship with her older brother, and how she will stop at nothing to make sure he is safe. And she's so snarky, I love it! I had to find this quote:

“Whatever mischief you're up to, I'll be there for it. Besides, someone must ensure that you behave like a lady."
I skittered to a stop. "Like a lady? Which is how exactly?" My voice was shrill. He had picked a poor moment to antagonize me.
"Biddable."
"Biddable? Biddable!" Somehow my pitch was even screechier than before. I kicked my bottom high and dipped my chest low-a perfect display of the Grecian bend. "It it's a camel you wish to have,sir,then you are on the wrong continent!”

This part cracked me up! I loved it. I so, SO loved it. And she's just so full of snark and fire, its wonderful! I loved the banter she has with everyone.

The supporting characters were quite wonderful as well. Clarence is one that I couldn't help but like. Joseph is wonderful, Daniel is infuriating and you can't help but fall for him. Jie is intriguing, but her representation was a little... I don't know. I don't know anything about Asian cultures in the 1800s, so I guess I don't know if the way Jie is portrayed is accurate of the time. But I loved Jie the character, I thought she was so fun. She reminded me a little bit of Vive from The Finishing School & Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. There were just so many characters that I adore.

The story was well paced and well written. It kept me interested the entire time, and the ending... Oh boy the ending. I just can't go there because I don't want to spoil anything. But I loved it, and it sets up the rest of the series perfectly. I would definitely suggest this book, especially if you like The Dark Unwinding, stuff by Gail Carriger, and sassy female protagonists.