What's Left of Me - Kat Zhang

tl;dr - |✭✭✭✩✩| So, I wanted to like this book more than I did. I listened to it on audiobook, and the reader did a fine job. But I just couldn't get that in to the story, and I don't think I'll be continuing the series.

Description - Eva and Addy have a secret, one that they fight to protect everyday. They live in a world when everyone is born with two distinct and different personalities, but one usually becomes dominant and eventually the weaker personality fades away by the time they're 10. Addy was always the stronger personality. But Eva never went away. When a girl at Addy's school - Hally - befriends them, and tells them her secret - she know's Eva never settled, and Hally can help teach Eva to regain control again. Its a dangerous task, one that Eva desperately wants and Addy is terrified to allow. What if they get locked away, like all the other kids who never settled? Its a dangerous world for a hybrid like Eva and Addy... nobody can know they are a hybrid.

I think my issue with this book stems from all my years studying psychology. (Boy that makes me sound impressive, like I've studied psychology for decades as an expert. I promise I'm not impressive, and I haven't been studying psychology quite that long). But this book, it was almost like the author once heard of dissociative identity disorder, or psychizophrenia, or some other psychological disorder that results in different voices/personalities and very loosely based a book on that. I mean, its cool! Inspiration comes from everywhere! But I couldn't get behind the idea that two separate and distinct souls lived in tandem in one body. How was there not a constant struggle for power? For the need to fulfill each personalities' needs? A body is such a small place to inhabit for one person, let alone two.

The characters didn't come across as all tha different to me either. Eva is constantly longing to a chance to use the body, but she's (I guess) the smart one. Meanwhile, Addy has the body but is constantly daydreaming during class and never paying attention. That seems a bit odd to me since she is the one who is in control and has to make sure that nobody ever knows they haven't settled. But I guess if you're going to space out, the middle of math class would be the time to do it.

Also, Ryan was a weird character. Him being mean to Eva and Addy from the beginning. Hally brings them over because Hally knows they are a hybrid, and Ryan is aware of the reason Hally brings them over, and yet he is rude to them the whole time. Every time. I think his alter is Robby (i really can't remember), and he is considerably nicer. Maybe its supposed to show the contrast between the two boys. I don't know. That just didn't make sense to me. And Hally and her alter didn't really have much of a distinct difference either.

Addy felt kind of useless to me. She was far too scared to do anything, and she was seriously frustrating as a character because of it. It was very real, but it was still frustrating to read through. Especially later on in the book. I don't want to say much more because I don't want to give away more spoilers than I have, since any more spoilers and you won't have to read the book. Ha. But I just couldn't get into this book. I tried, but I won't be reading the rest of the series.