The Here and Now - Ann Brashares

tl:dr This story could have been so much more than it ended up being. It was an ok story, but not the best time travel story I've ever read.

I received this advanced reader copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Description: Prenna James is a girl from a bleak future sent back to present- day New York... although I suppose in a few years it won't be so present. Anyways. She comes from a time where a mosquito - borne virus kills many, nothing new is every made, and everyone lives in constant fear of contracting the dreaded and deadly disease. A select group of people are sent back in time to New York, where they must live by a strict set of rules: never reveal where they're from, do not draw undue attention to yourself, do NOT tamper with history, and never engage in intimate relations with anyone outside of the community. Prenna wants to be someone her community can rely on and be proud of, but she can't deny her attraction and growing affection for Ethan Jarves - a boy who is from this time period. Will she choose her family and friends from the future, or will she choose love?

BUM BUM BUMMMM (...that was dramatic music, btw).

So this book. Lets see. Prenna was useless. I hate when our female main characters are so useless. She can't do anything for herself. She believes that the community is spying on them and suspects how they're doing it, but then she does nothing about it. She gets captured and does nothing but lay around and mourn her situation instead of trying to get herself out of it. She's supposed to be extremely smart, but that never plays out in any way. So thats frustrating.

image

And then theres Ethan. The bright boy and ultimate love interest. He's a science nerd, but extremely attractive. (NO SIR YOU CANNOT BE CAPTAIN JAMES TIBERIUS KIRK!) Then he just does everything right. He plants a tracker on Prenna so he can find her, automatically figuring she'll be kidnapped once she opens up to him. Hmm. Then he figures out how to break her out, and he's both respectful but trying to woo her at the same time. Don't get my wrong, Ethan's character was ok, he was just too.... perfect. Like, he didn't really have any struggles. He didn't have any serious problems he had to work through, he just popped off to the store and was able to get everything he needed. Come on, face some trials and tribulation!!

image

And the time travel plot. Lets see. I thought that had promise, but again kind of fizzled out. The future is bleak, which can be kind of seen now anyways, but the ice caps melt and swamp-type lands pervade. Its very wet, the ultimate breeding ground for mosquitoes which then end up carrying a deadly virus. It sucks, thats for sure. And to me, it seems extremely plausible. But the fact that, in the future, they have all this amazing technology and have even figured out how to time travel, and yet they can't manufacture new items? They can't make new clothes or shoes, or entertainment items?? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. That part was just weird.

image

Anyways, its a quick and easy read. If you're not looking for a really deep plot, and you need something quick and easy and a one-off to read, do it!