Changeless - Gail Carriger
tl;dr I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. Nice twist at the end (that I unfortunately was spoiled to by the back cover of the graphic novel... ugh), but I still love enough of the characters to want to read the rest of the series.

Description Alexia is woken up in the middle of the day (werewolves are night dwellers after all) by her husband yelling, then suddenly he's off without an explanation. Alexia, rather perturbed at this sudden departure and the fact she wasn't able to grill her beastly husband about the particulars, heads off to her meeting in London. Only, she wasn't aware she'd have to deal with so many werewolves camping out in her front yard. Lady Mccon is not pleased.... When she learns Lord Mccon has swept off to Scotland without a single explanation, Alexia decides its time to take a dirigible and follow after him. Especially as the mysterious happenings in London also seem to be headed north.

So this book. I wasn't as into it as the other one. The story was interesting. I really liked the idea that something is causing supernaturals to lose their powers if they are within a certain area. But at times that felt like it was a secondary concern, which was a shame because the plot points that overtook that storyline weren't very fun.

image

Sigh. So in this book. there is less Lord Akeldama, MUCH less Lord Mccon and Professory Lyall - which to me is not ok. I adore them, and they're hardly in the book! Lord Mccon maybe only has a place for 1/3 of the story. But instead, we are forced to deal with one of Alexia's annoying sisters, her frustratingly dense friend Ivy Hisslewhatever, and the lackluster Mister Tunstell who I did not care for one bit.

image

I mean we meet all these characters in the first book, but their parts are so small they're fine. They're passing. And I'm really ok with that. But they became front and center in this book. It was annoying. Ivy falling for Tunstall and being frustratingly Victorian about it, but she's also so dense and self centered that it made it even worse. Felicity is just terrible, but I could've delta with her if she wasn't trying to steal Tunstall just for the sake of causing drama. UGH.

image

We did, however, get to meet some characters that are introduced in the finishing school series. Genevive Lefoux, and Sidheag Kingair. I liked both of those characters (much younger, though they were) and so I was quite excited to meet them in this series as adults. I was not disappointed on their front. They were the best additions to the series, and what kept me reading in the long run. I almost didn't want to, as there was too much Ivy/Tunstal/Felicty boring story going on, but Vive was wonderful and Sidheag's history was interesting enough to keep me going.

image

The twist at the end was unfortunately spoiled for me by reading the back cover of the Blameless graphic novel, so I'm unfortunately knew what was coming, which made all the clues stick out like they were drenched in red ink. I'm not sure if I would've picked it up or not otherwise, but it was intriguing and I will definitely continue the series!