Sapphire Blue (Precious Stone Trilogy, #2) - Kerstin Gier

tl;dr A pretty good follow up to Ruby Red, though we're still left without a whole lot of answers.

[[MORE]]

Description Book two starts off literally where book one ends (before the Epilogue of course). Gwen is all confused about Gideon, and hasn't really found too many answers to any of her questions, but of course is being thrown into a soiree had in the 18th century. With only a few days to train, and nearly no time to figure out things with Gideon - let alone Aunt Maddies predictions - Gwen starts to piece together little bits about the circle of Twelve.

So lets see. Book two starts off exactly where book one ends - with the kiss. There isn't any "Its been 3 weeks since the kiss and i still don't know what it means." After the prologue we jump right back into that confessional and the kiss, and Gwen's confusion. BUM BUM BUMMMMM.

Anyways. Then we meet Xemerius, who I was terrified would end up being like the Jar Jar Binks of this series. He starts out so brash and annoying that I head this dreadful feeling he'd be that way throughout the story, but he actually ends up pretty amusing and a decent character. And quite helpful to Gwen, passing along info she'd never have gotten without him. Hurray, demon ghost!

Anyways. We really don't learn a ton more about what happens if the Circle is closed, but then this book only takes place over the span of 3 or 4 more days. Though since this book is only a trilogy, i really hope the last book has some good answers and is satisfying otherwise it might ruin what is an amusing story overall. Anyways, I have to say the part where they're elapsing in the cellar and Gideon is helping Gwen learn to dance properly is adorable and I loved it.

I'm also very glad Gwen wasn't instantly perfect at learning how to dance a minute, or what she should be doing at a soiree in the 1700s. That would've been so… frustrating, so I was quite happy that she was still her normal bumbling self.

Anyways, this was a pretty good followup and I enjoyed it as much as the first. Not an amazing series so far, but I'm still enjoying the ride!