Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)

tl;dr While it did seem to drag a tad bit at moments, overall it did not disappoint. READ IT![[MORE]]

[[MORE]]Description Celaena is back (HURRAY!) acting as the official assassin to the king. She does his bidding without question… or does she? Dark forces are still surrounding the kingdom, so on top of figuring out a way to make sure the King doesn't realize Celaena isn't completely sworn to him, she must figure out what mystical forces are plaguing a kingdom where magic has been lost since the ruthless king has come to power.

Can I just say, I freaking love Celaena's character. I get that she won't be for everyone, just like Rose Hathaway isn't for everyone. But I love a strong feisty sarcastic character who isn't afraid to challenge the people around her, doesn't shy away from an argument or a physical fight, and will take on a huge challenge.

image

Anyways. I thought this was a good sequel. There were a few moments where the book felt like it was dragging a bit, but overall it was a great read. I liked the new characters that were introduced, and I liked the direction the story was going. You had hints of it in the first book, but it was barely a whisper. The love triangle that was set up in the first book I guess served a purpose, as it gave the Prince and Chaol realistic motivations in this book and didn't detract from the story at all this time around. I mean, we all know how much I love those love triangles! But this story worked with it for once.

image

Anyways. Just a warning, there was a crazy sad moment in the middle of the book - which you know, kinda sucks. But considering how it pushed the story, it was a necessary evil.

Anyways, love this book. Must read!