The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

tl;dr Overall, this book was meh. It started out boring, then it got better, but then the end made me mad. So, overall: meh.

WARNING: this post contains spoilers. But don't worry, I'll give warning before they start.

[[MORE]]

Goodreads Description When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. And she’s more than a little startled when the body disappears into thin air. Soon Clary is introduced to the world of the Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of warriors dedicated to driving demons out of our world and back to their own. And Clary is introduced with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque monster. How could a mere human survive such an attack and kill a demon? The Shadowhunters would like to know…

So, I really didn't care for Clary. She was just... there. Even though she was in the middle of all of this stuff happening, I felt like she was just kind of there as a sideline player. She was boring. She didn't really do anything, and I hate when the lead female heroine doesn't really do anything. She was useless.

I did like Jace a lot though. Loved his snark and sassy-ness. He reminded me a bit of Finnick from The Hunger Games. So he was fun to read.

But aside from Jace, all the characters really seemed pretty one-dimensional. I don't know, it was just kind of boring. I mean, I wish I liked it better. I heard some great things about the series, so I was all kinds of ready to love this book and be excited.... but I just wasn't. Like, to the point that I don't know if I will continue on with the series.

image

Plus the end... UGH Ok and I'm just going to warn you now, this is the part where the spoilers begin. So instead of just jumping in, have some funny gifs to look at so hopefully it won't be ruined for you and jump off now if you haven't read it. Ready? 'Cause at the end of these gifs begin the spoilers.

Ok so here come the spoilers. First of all: their first kiss. I mean, wut?? Where did it come from? I don't get it... it was so random and there was nothing leading up to it. No serious flirting, just the same old sass that is Jace-trademarked. So when it happened... I was just like, wait what??? I then had to re-read it twice to make sure I was reading it correctly.

image

Then the end. UGH, I mean for real? Jace is supposedly Jonathan Christopher AKA Clary's dead brother??? NO. Nope nope nope.

image

I mean seriously, I HATE it when that happens in books. At least its not as bad as in another book I read which I shall not spoil here, where you knew that they weren't actually related because you were told so, but the characters thought they were but they also wanted to jump eachother's bones. I mean I guess it could be real in this book, but that just seems too awkward to make them kiss and I guess feel romantically inclined (I mean, but do they? Its not really clear. They don't really talk about it much, which is both nice but also makes it seem like they're not that in to each other) then for real be brother sister. But yeah. So super annoyed with that ending that I actually started yelling at the book.

image

So yeah, thats all I've got. Overall not a huge fan, idk if I'll read on.