Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor

tl;dr I really really liked this book the second I started reading it.

Description Karou is a 17 year old girl with bright blue hair studying art in Prague. She is a fantastic artist, and her sketchbook is filled with mythical creatures from her imagination. Or are they? Karou runs errands for Brimstone, one of the fantastical creatures from her sketchbook. Her errand? To collect teeth, among other things. But she begins to notice black hand prints burned into the doors she uses to run those errands. Then she meets the devastatingly handsome Akiva, who is not apart of the human world like her friends, and stuff happens.

I really liked his book from the first second I started reading it. I don't know why. Maybe because I could tell right away that Karou was snarky and a fighter. Maybe I just really liked the way it was written. I'm not really sure, I just know I loved it from the first moment.

image

So yeah. I loved that it started out having Karou know she's not normal, but of course there is the mystery in what exactly she is. But it was refreshing in that most of the books I've been reading lately are "I am a normal person I swear I cant be some mythical creature thing" whereas Karou knew that there was something more to this world, and that magic is real.

image

And I loved Akiva. He was real. His pain, his feelings, all of it. It was realistic. You could believe that he felt how he did, and why he did the things he did. I thought he was really well written, especially compared to some of the male "tortured" characters who really have no reason to be considered so anguished.

image

And then there were the great things in this book that made you think. For instance does a monster know he's a monster? Thoughts about war and growing up only knowing war, and how thats different from an actual life. Thoughts about tolerance and acceptance of people and things different from yourself.

image

Basically this book was fantastic. There was a brief period when we learn about Karou where I thought it started to drag a little bit towards the end, but it was still a fantastic book and I can't wait to read the next one. So read it!