Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers

tl;dr if you like historical  novels, and if you like YA, read it. DO IT MEOW.[[MORE]]

Description: Set in 15th century Brittany (HEY thats almost my name WOO), Ismae has been an outcast and beaten her entire life. Her mother tried getting rid of her while pregnant and failed, leaving horrible scars and the thought that Ismae is actually the daughter of death. After being sold and married to an abusive man, Ismae is saved and taken to an abbey that worships Saint Mortaine, the god of death. Ismae is trained as an assasin and sent off to the Duchess' castle to spy on the political goings-on and stuff.

I really liked this story. I had forgotten how much I like historical novels, and this book reminded me of that fact. I thought it was really well written, and at 500+ pages it didn't flow too fast or too slow.

image

I liked the history of it, though since I don't know much of French/Brittany history (just knowing Brittany is a region of France now-a-days), it kept me interested. I can see how some people may think its slow, especially since the romantic love interest part doesn't start up until half way through and even then builds slowly. But its part of her character, and I thought it kept her character true and would've been far too forced and ridiculous otherwise. So to those people, I say:

image

Anyways. The writing was great, loved the idea of women being trained as assassins in the 1400s, since that is not something you see much in those times.

image

But yes. If you don't like historical fiction, don't do it. I mean, you probably will find it boring for the same reasons you don't like other historical fiction books. But I mean you could try if you like strong deadly female characters. Thats up to you I guess.

image

But for everyone else, DO IT!