Born at Midnight - C.C. Hunter

This book was: meh. Literally, thats it. Meh. [[MORE]]If you haven't noticed, I prefer to get right to the point right away. Why, you ask? Because I hate reading reviews that tell you the reviewers entire life story and thought process before getting to the point of their review.

Anyways, here comes the description: Kylie is your average 16 year old who happens to be going through a rough time. Parents divorcing? Check. Super hot boyfriend dumping her? Check. Grandma dying? Check. So one night when she gets busted for going to a party, her mom decides to send her off to some camp for "delinquents" based off the recommendation from her shrink, because - did i mention? - she keeps seeing a ghost. Kylie gets to camp which she learns is for supernatural teenagers, and that she herself is not normal. What she is, they don't know - but they know its supernatural.

Back to my review

Ok, so I wanted to love this book. The opening sentence about her parents divorce, I wanted to be able to relate to Kylie. "Hey girl, my parents divorced when I was at a tender awkward teenage age too. I feel you"

(I felt that was needed since I ended up doing a Hey Girl without meaning to)

But then I kept reading. And for the first couple of chapters, there were things that bugged me but It wasn't too big of a deal. But it just kept getting worse.

For instance: the dreaded LOVE TRIANGLE.

image

Because of course, this love triangle is not done very well. Like always. Lucas is super bad-boy dangerous sexy man, and Derek is super hot sweet "hey this reminds me of my super hot ex" guy, then theres Tyler (Trevor? Taylor? Idk some T name) her ex who is "super hot" that decided he made a mistake and wont stop stalking her, but solely because he wants sex. Sorry, but when I went to high school, if you didn't put out and they were gonna dump you they didn't change their mind afterwords and pursue you again.

image

Anyways. So as I'm reading this book, I have to pause and look at the back cover for a photo of the author. And I see she isn't young. Which, you know, isn't a problem. John Green is neither super young (hes not old, but hes not 16 either) and he's a guy, and he did a great job writing from the perspective of a 16 year old girl with cancer in The Fault In Our Stars. But the writing in this book goes from almost childish, to romance novel, to 16 year old a-la the 1960s. With "Dag-nabbits" and "Gosh darn" its. Ok, there may not have been a dag-nabbit written out, but i swear at one point thats what it sounded like.

image

Oh and can I just a moment to talk about her excessive use of the word "breasts"? I mean I get it. Girls have breasteses, boys have penises. But in a YA novel, I am 99.987% sure she used the word breast every single time she described Kylie's boobs, and only once did she actually use the word boobs. It gave the novel a very "this is about to get R rated" feeling, until the next sentence when she'd throw in a "well gosh darn it" that made you feel awkward about thinking it was about to get all sexual all up in here.

And then there's the descriptions of the guys. Again with the excessive over-sexualized description that, one sentence had me confused as to what type of book I picked up, and the next second feeling pervy for thinking it was going there. I get it, these boys  make Kylie go: UNF. I mean... "blood dripped down his hard torso" is just asking for some sex to happen.  But then back to the weird 60s childish writing, it was all very disconcerting. Oh, not to mention the constant slut shaming and judging going on by Kylie. Skirt too short? Slut. Shirt too low cut? Super slut. Girl having sex with her boyfriend? BIGGEST SLUT EVER. Yeah thats how it goes in this book. Let look at these guys all sexualized, but any girls doing anything remotely promiscuous are all kinds of sluts. Its all far too southern for me in the most negative of ways.

So basically, I wanted to love this book when I first started it, but it just left me feeling meh.