Velveteen - Daniel Marks

13414964

tl;dr Pretty disappointed in this book. Le sigh.[[MORE]]

Description So the leaf on this book was all about this girl's ghost who is in purgatory and wants to get revenge on her murderer, who is a serial killer. But oh no, that isn't what the story is really about. Its about some weird purgatory revolt, and the revenge story line takes a back seat to that. Which is lame.

image

So if you cant tell from my description, I was super disappointed. I mean the jacket cover was AWESOME. Example:

"Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem.

The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it’s not a fiery inferno, it’s certainly no heaven. It’s gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn’t leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what’s really on her mind.

Bonesaw.

Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she’s figured out just how to do it. She’ll haunt him for the rest of his days.

It’ll be brutal... and awesome."

So that sounds amazing right?? Wrong. It was SO misleading. That plot line is only around for about the first two chapters, and then it takes a back seat which is ANNOYING. Because the main story line was kind of crap. I wasn't interested in it at all. I just didn't really care, and it wasn't really gone in to that well... Not good.

image

And then the main character was ok, but idk.. something about her "tough girl" fighter set up felt forced and fake, like they were scared of her because she's goth and mad all the time, but there wasn't much more to it than that. And the antagonist wasn't anything special either.

image

I don't know, the overall writing and just everything was a bit of a let down. It wasn't set up well, it wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe, had my expectations not been set up on an awesome revenge story it would have been ok. But I just really didn't like the weird revolution thing going on. I don't know. It just wasn't so great. Boo.