Legend - Marie Lu

tl;dr I really liked this book! I also loved the way the physical book was made, with the different fonts and text colors for the two different narratives.

Description (from Goodreads) What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

I enjoyed this book, but after coming off a Maze Runner trilogy disappointment where I loved the first book but didn't like the last two, I am a bit wary of what my enjoyment of this first book will mean for the next two.

Anyways. I liked that even though June was brought up in the Republic, and even though she has a lot of love for them, she is still a rebel. Since she's an outcast being the smartest girl in the best college in the Republic, she has a little chip on her shoulder. Which I liked. It made her a bit more real. I guess I understand why Day is the rebel that he is. But I don't really get why at the same time. What the point is of his pranks if they don't really do too much to bring down the Republic and help take care of the poor people.

Anyways. Aside from that I was really sad about Metias' death, and I felt really bad for June, losing her only remaining family. Especially as the story went on, I just felt more and more sad for her. The more we learned about Metias, the more I wished his character was still around because he was really quite interesting, and I think he would've been a fun character to have in the story. I understand his death, but I wish he didn't have to die.

Le sigh. Anyways, its a very quick book and a very quick read. I liked Day and I liked June, though their attraction was a bit flimsy and underdeveloped. But everything with the republic and the turmoil was done wonderfully. Overall I loved it, and I will definitely read the next one.