All Our Pretty Songs - Sarah McCarry

tl;dr I didn't even make it through this book. I couldn't. And I really doubt I ever will. [[MORE]]

I literally got 36 pages in to this book before I decided I couldn't do it anymore. First, I got 20 pages in and stopped thinking I'll come back to it later. Then, I read the next 16 pages and it took me probably 45 minutes to get through that many pages, which is unheard of for me. I go through at least a page a minute.

So I gave up. Its maybe 200 pages, and in that first 36 pages nothing really happened. Ugh. The narrator just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and it literally feels like reading what you just read, "and on" a million times) about her memories with her best friend, her bff's cracked out mom, and her own health crazy mom. I read an article that says its called purple prose, what was going on in the story, and I had to look that up (purple prose = prose that is too elaborate or ornate) because I didn't know what i meant, and it turns out that indeed, this stupid book was non-stop purple prose. It gets so incredibly tedious reading two pages of ways for the narrator to romanticize a single memory or a single song played by some hot dude. UGH.

its just like:

image

So yeah. I gave up on this book. It doesn't happen often, but it did with this one. Maybe someday I'll go back to it.