Days of Blood and Starlight - Laini Taylor

tl;dr I was really conflicted about this book, but if you liked the first you should probably read it. [[MORE]]

Description: After Akiva reveals to Karou what horrible things have happened since the death of her life as Madrigal, Karou leaves him angry and searches for her people. She finds a small gathering of them and helps to rebuild their army, all he while Akiva hopes to find ways to atone for his horrible deeds.

You know, this book had me really angry from the beginning. There were moments where I was like.... Where was the Karou from the first book that I adored so much? I just wanted to be like

And I can't help it. I'm a sucker for romance, and it was just SO frustrating.... I completely understand why Karou was so angry at Akiva. I really do. But it was still so frustrating that the anger blinded her so much. And I know, I know, I get to see it all because I am the reader but its still just like

image

I really liked Akiva's story line though. His was done fantastically. It really was. And Ziri, I loved the introduction of his character as well. So there was that reprieve whenever the story turned to him.

image

But then came the end. And oh my dear god, a little ways from the end, I literally felt like this:

image

And I was about this close |----| to actually throwing this book across the room. SO close because I was that angry. So well done Taylor, solid twist. Well done. I didn't see it coming, and you evoked quite the violent reaction in me. And so yeah, then it got to the actual ending and I was like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT APRIL TO READ ON?

image

So yeah. Pretty conflicted. It was good story telling though at times I wondered why it would go to characters that were not part of the big ol main ensemble. And there were some good parts in Ziri and Akiva, but then the rest angered me. So yeah. The end.